We are very happy here in our small Irish cottage, cows and all. Based on our experience in different settings so far, the best homes for a sabbatical, have:
- green surroundings, like campo near the house in Spain or lush emerald Irish fields;
- terrace or a small yard for alfresco dining;
- walkable area to explore nearby;
- house where the owner clearly cares about it and makes an effort to maintain it;
- reliable internet;
- wonderful neighbors – our neighbors saved us and comforted us so many times!
- dryer, dishwasher, good water pressure – none are necessary, but oh-so-nice;
- responsive and caring landlord (landlady) – makes a huge difference;
- farmer’s markets nearby;
- easy access to international airport;
- comfortable beds;
- a nice view is also nice to remind you of where you are.
I’m sure there are others, but these ingredients are what made our experiences great so far…